Crystal Tower Update 4/7/2021
Please click below to view the latest update regarding the Skywalk at Crystal Tower.
Crystal Tower Update 1/26/2021
We have completed the punch list walkthrough on ALL floors and with the exception of ongoing work in the -01 stack, and some owner preferred details, Upland Hospitality has turned all units back over to us. Jose, the project manager and the team will remain on site until Saturday to take care of any last minute issues that may arise. It has certainly been a long road, and I would like to thank everyone for the continued patience and understanding. Please plan to have your units cleaned and prepped for any upcoming arrivals, if it hasn’t been done already.
As for other repairs around the property, here are a few updates:
- Willoughby Roofing will be on site tomorrow to stage and will begin work on the SkyWalk roof Thursday. Interior work will commence as soon as the new roof is in place.
- Kutter’s Grounds Maintenance will be on site Thursday and Friday addressing the palm trees and beds around the property.
- A-Z Fencing will be on site Friday to provide an estimate for removal and replacement of perimeter privacy fence.
We will continue to keep you updated here regarding all property work.
Crystal Tower Update 1/15/2021
A quick update on the individual unit reconstruction progress at Crystal Tower. On Tuesday 01/12 and Wednesday 01.13, we did a punch list walkthrough on floors 16-13 and with the exception of some ongoing work in the -01 stack, and some owner preferred details, all units on those floors were turned back over to us. On Monday, 01.18, we will perform the punch list walkthrough on floors 12-9. As you see that the units are being turned back over to us, it is recommended that you have your condo representative or housekeeping do a final touch up clean and prepare the unit for any upcoming arrivals.
Trim, paint and touch up work is continuing on floors 8-2 and it looks like the team will be on schedule to complete their work by the end of the month. Updates will continue throughout the remainder of process
Also, any owners that have been contacted by Ivan Valdez regarding a reimbursement, should reach out to him at your earliest convenience.
Crystal Tower Update 12/22/2020
Below is the final update from the reconstruction team, before breaking for the Holidays. Floors 20-17 have been walked and turned back over, with the exception of a few issues. To my knowledge, all units on floors 16-5, have been put back temporarily for any 01/01 winter guest arrivals, with the knowledge that there will still be some paint and baseboard work to be done in those units when the crew returns to Crystal Tower. Should you find that your unit has not been put back or is not ready for an arrival please let me know, and we will do all we can to accommodate.
The Board of Directors and Crystal Tower Staff would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! We will be on site tomorrow, a half day Christmas Eve and will be taking Christmas Day off to spend time with our families.
Update from Upland Hospitality Group
As of Today December 22, 2020:
- Floors 20-17: Complete walk through. Specific units may have pending scopes which have already been addressed by both contractor and owner.
- Floor 16: Primed and trim work began.
- Floor 15: Primed.
- Floors 14-5: Waiting on paint and trim.
- Floor 4: 50% complete with texture.
- Floors 3-2: First coat of mud.
- Floors 16-5: Plastic was removed.
Upland Hospitality Group will be leaving for the holidays on Wednesday December 23, 2020 and will not be returning for work until January 4, 2021.
What to expect when we return on January 4, 2021:
- Complete pending work on certain units from the floors already complete.
- Proceed with the existing conditions of the work already administered. We will be taking off from where we left off. That would be:
- Floors 16-15: Trim and paint work.
- Floors 14-5: Continue working downwards towards these floors for Trim and Paint.
- Floor 4: Complete texture.
- Floors: 3-2: Complete mud and wait on sanding.
Crystal Tower Update 12/18/2020
Upland Hospitality Group 12/18/2020
As of today, 12/18/2020
- Floors 20-19: Cabinets and touch ups. Preparing for flooring crew.
- Floor 18: 80% finished with painting.
- Floor 17: Trim and paint are in process.
- Floors 16-9: Waiting on trim and paint.
- Floor 8: Texture work.
- Floor 7: 2nd Coat of mud and sanding.
- Floor 6: 2nd Coat of mud.
- Floor 5: First coat of mud.
- Floors 4-2: Waiting on mud.
What to expect during the weekend:
- Floors 20-19: Flooring, touch Ups, cleaning, and arranging furniture.
- Floors 18-17: Finish paint, start flooring.
- Floors 16: Start trim and paint.
- Floors 15-8: Wait on trim and paint.
- Floors 7-5: Start texture and finish and mud phase not yet complete.
- Floors 4-2: May get to start first coat of mud on Sunday.
If you have received any form to fill out from me, on behalf of Upland Hospitality Group, PLEASE SIGN and RETURN as soon as possible. Check emails from your Spam Folder, as my emails may be going there.
On Monday 12/21/2020 and Tuesday 12/22/2020, Upland’s Project Manager will be walking the 20th and 19th floors on the first day and floors 18 and 17 on the second day, respectively with Crystal Tower Property Manager Jay Kee.
If you would like to accompany them on the walk through, you are welcome to.
Crystal Tower Update 12/16/2020
Update from Upland Hospitality Group
As of today 12/16/2020:
- Floor 20: Finishing touches with paint, and trim work. Preparing for flooring.
- Floor 19: 90% finished with painting. Trim work and cleaning still going on.
- Floor 18: Painting and trim work going on.
- Floor 17: Prime and trim work going on.
- Floor 16-13: Waiting on trim and painters
- Floor 12-10: Texture.
- Floor 9-8: Second coat of mud applied
- Floor 7-6: First coat of mud applied.
- Floors 5-2: Waiting on mud.
What to expect until Friday 12/18/2020:
- Floor 20: Preparations for flooring.
- Floor 19: Finished painting and trim, begin preparations for flooring.
- Floor 18: Finish painting and trim.
- Floor 17: Start painting and trim.
- Floor 16-10: Wait on primer, work downwards with paint and trim.
- Floor 9-8: Wait on sanders.
- Floor 7-6: Wait on second coat.
Floor 5-2: Wait on mud, crew will work downwards as they finish up floors 9-6.
Crystal Tower Update 12/14/2020
Upland Hospitality Update
As of today, 12/14/2020
- Floor 20: Texture on certain units that needed re-texturing.
- Floor 19: Most Trim work. (caulk and putty)
- Floor 18: Trim work (began caulking)
- Floor 17: Texture finished.
- Floor 16: Texture finished.
- Floor 15: Began texture.
- Floors 14 and 13: Sanded. Waiting on texture.
- Floors 12 and 11: Waiting on texture.
- Floor 10: Finished second coat of mud.
- Floors 9 and 8: First/second coat of mud.
- Floor 20: Finish any paint left.
- Floor 19: Paint.
- Floor 18: Trim work.
- Floor 17: May get trim work started.
- Floor 16: No work.
- Floor 15: Texture.
- Floor 14: Try to get texture.
- Floor 13: Try to get texture.
- Floor 12: Sanding and try to get texture.
- Floor 9 and 8: Second coat of mud.
- Floor 7: First coat of mud.
- Floors 6-2: Wait on mud.
Crystal Tower Update 12/11/2020
Update from Upland Hospitality Group
As of Friday 12/11/2020:
- Floor 20: Texture complete, primer on wall complete and trim work began.
- Floor 19: Texture complete, began primer on wall.
- Floor 18: 3 rooms textured, continue sanding.
- Floor 17: prep for texture.
- Floor 16: waiting on prep for texture.
- Floors 15-10: First or second coat of mud applied.
- Floors 10-2: waiting on mud.
What to expect for the weekend ahead:
- Floor 20: Painting and Trim work.
- Floor 19: Finish texture and start primer on wall.
- Floors 18-17: Texture work.
- Floors 16-15: Sanding and start Texture (most likely Sunday for texture)
- Floors 14-6: First or second coat of mud.
- Floors 5-2: waiting on mud.
You may notice that we will be working this upcoming Sunday; that is due to a shift of schedule so that we may have more production to try and satisfy the WHOLE building.
Crystal Tower Update 12/9/2020
Update from Upland Hospitality Group
As of Wednesday, 12/9/2020:
- Floor 20: Sanding is being completed. 2001 received second coat of mud.
- Floor 19: Waiting for sanding.
- Floor 18: Waiting for sanding.
- Floors 17 & 16: receiving second coat of mud.
- Floors 15-4: Put back process finished (with the exception of a few units)
- Floors 3 and 2: preparation for put back ready.
What to expect before Friday, 12/11/2020:
- Floors 20 and 19: Finish sanding what was left and start texture.
- Floors 18 and 17: Sanding, getting ready for texture.
- Floors 16 and 15: Mud process.
- Floors 14-4: Waiting on Mud crew.
- Floors 3 and 2: Put back process.
If you have renters in your unit please try to communicate with them directly so they may be better aware of what is going on.
Crystal Tower Update 12/7/2020
Update on Crystal Tower Construction per Upland Hospitality Group, as of December 7, 2020:
- 20th, 19th, and 18th floors are finished with second coat of mud. Waiting on a scheduled date for texture crew to begin work.
- (Units 2001, 1901, and 1801 may not be 100% complete with the sheet rock or mud process due to the open ceiling problem with the duct work/ ventilation)
- 17th and 16th floors are receiving their first coat of mud.
- 15th, 14th, 13th, 12th, 11th, 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 6th and a portion of 5th floors have finished the put back process of materials with the exception of a few units like the ones on the East side of the building (01 units).
What to expect on the following days:
- 20th, 19th, and 18th floors: Wait on scheduled date for texture.
- 17th and 16th: finish first coat and try to get a second coat of mud.
- From the 15th floor down the mud crew will go level by level to try to get as much done as possible.
- Prep work for put back process to begin on Floors 4, 3, and 2.
Updates can be found here as progress continues.
Crystal Tower Update 12/3/2020
The reconstruction process for Crystal Tower started this week.
As of today December 3, 2020:
- Floor 20: put back insulation, drywall, and first coat of mud. (no work on this floor today except unit #2001)
- Floor 19: put back insulation, drywall, and first coat of mud. (no work on this floor tomorrow December 4, 2020)
- Floor 18: put back insulation, drywall, and will aim to begin first coat of mud today.
- Floor 17: put back process still in operation.
- Floor 16: put back process still in operation.
- Floor 15: Beginning preparation (moving furniture, covering Furniture and Floors of affected area) for put back process.
Over the next couple of days Upland Hospitality Group will aim to:
- Finish the put back process on the floors that were still in operation as of today.
- Start the preparations for the following floors: 14, 13, and 12.
- Start and finish the Second coat of mud on Floors 20, 19, and 18.
Updates can be found here as progress continues.
Crystal Tower Update 11/25/2020
Please be aware that the reconstruction of the condo units at Crystal Tower is scheduled to begin Monday, 11/30. The contractor has given us a 90 day timeline, taking the completion date to mid-February. We are hoping a for a quicker finish, but are trying to plan ahead for any delays. All incoming guests will need to know what is occurring on site, and will need to be compliant with the schedule of work. Also, release forms (see below update) for all on site guests must be on file with your office.
Crystal Tower Update 11/17/2020
The Crystal Tower Board met Friday, 11/13 and spent a majority of the meeting discussing the aftermath of Hurricane Sally and Hurricane Zeta in regards to Crystal Tower. The SERVPRO team has completed all remediation and now we are ready to proceed with the reconstruction phase through Upland Hospitality Group. UHG management is scheduled to be onsite this week and employees and materials will be arriving in the following days. While I do not have an exact timeline for repair at this time, we have been given a 6-8 week window. Ricky Sablon, the general contractor, specializes in high rise reconstruction and has assured us the most efficient way for his team to work is to start at the top and work their way down with multiple (3-4) floors in motion at once. Each “trade” (sheetrock hanging / finishing, painters and final touch) will follow and overlap all the way down to the 2nd floor.
In regards to the reconstruction, it has been recommended that all parties on Crystal Tower property during any phase of work sign a release. This includes owners, owner guests and rental guests. The Board of Directors has approved the attached release form drawn up by Daniel Craven, PA. Please include the release with any documents signed by your incoming guests. Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.
View and Download the Release: Crystal Tower Rental Guest Release
Other property notes include:
- Temporary steps at boardwalk will be built this week, allowing us to open the South pool area and beach access. The SkyWalk will remain closed and we will have access to South side available through the street level gate.
- Other storm related property repairs will be on going for the next few months
- ThyssenKrupp is continuing work on our elevator mods and is making steady progress on Car 3. Please keep in mind that there are only two cars in service during the project and at times, only one depending on where the crew is working.
I will continue to keep you updated as progress is made on not only unit repairs, but also all property repairs
Crystal Tower Update 11/09/2020
During the past several weeks, we have been working with the insurance carrier, adjuster, and reconstruction contractor to begin the needed repairs at Crystal Tower. This process has taken much longer than we anticipated. We are working hard to get approval for reconstruction to start this week. As you know we initially scheduled a “reopening” of the building 11/16, thinking that most, if not all of the unit reconstruction would be completed. With the delay from the insurance company, the contractor is not even on site yet, and with 11/16 just a week away, we know that the work will not even be close to completion. The contractor has given us a 6-8 week timeframe for initial put back, and in speaking with Board president Kevin Logsdon, we would rather not delay rentals for another 6-8 weeks (especially winter guest arrivals). Therefore, even though it is advised that rentals remain limited until the reconstruction is done, we would like to accommodate any winter guest or holiday guest arrivals.
Unfortunately, this will not apply to the -01 units as they took a brunt of the water damage, but if you, as the management company or your owner feel that the unit is “livable”, then feel free to keep your upcoming arrivals. You MUST let you guests know, however, that the units will not be in pristine condition, there will be on going work throughout their stay, and in order to expedite the reconstruction process, all guests will need to comply with contractor’s schedule. Also, the property itself will not be in the best of shape. The SkyWalk will remain closed, but I hope to have the temporary stairs at the boardwalk built in the next couple of weeks, and will open South side and beach access through the South street level gate. ThyssenKrupp is continuing their work on Car 3, so remember we only have 2 elevators in service, and at times throughout the day, only 1, as the crew may have to take Car 2 out of service for their safety.
Although this will take some time, we WILL get back to normal. We appreciate your continued patience and cooperation.
Crystal Tower Update 10/15/2020
The ServPro team has completed remediation in all affected units and will be departing Crystal Tower in the next day or so. All drying equipment has been removed, units have been cleaned and COVID cleaned, as well as treated to prevent any future microbial growth. The general contractor’s team will be moving on site in the next few days and will begin the put back process.
With that being said, and in speaking with Ethan, our project manager for ServPro, it has been advised that the suspension of rentals be extended until November 16 (Monday). With the amount of put back required, this will give the general contractor’s team almost a 30 day window to get final clearance from the insurance company, labor / materials on site and begin work in the individual units. Also, in limiting the amount of traffic on site, the put back team will have the freedom to move about without any delays. Once the team is working, I am told the process will move quickly (…as quickly as possible).
Although ALL property repairs and unit repairs will not be completed by the Nov 16 date, we are hoping that a bulk of the units with little to moderate damage can be completed / cleared, allowing a “soft opening” for rentals. The -01 units, as well as those units whose owners want to use this time for upgrades (paint color, flooring etc.) will obviously take longer. As far as the property itself, work will be continuing for the next several weeks on the SkyWalk (roof and interior), the building itself (stucco / paint) and the West side privacy fence between Crystal Tower and Gulf Village. Temporary steps will added to the boardwalk allowing beach access, and once the City of Gulf Shores allows permitting for boardwalk rebuilds, that process will begin as well.
I know this will affect arrivals for your units (including winter guests), but we feel this is the right decision to expedite the put back phase. The Crystal Tower Board of Directors, staff, and the contractor’s team certainly appreciate your understanding. I will continue to keep you updated on the progress.
Crystal Tower Update 10/08/2020
Our ServPro team has provided a unit-by-unit status report. (linked below). Now that repairs are underway and flowing smoothly, we will do our best get a status report out each week, so that everyone stays on the same page. As you are aware, some units had a lot more damage than others, so the terminology is vanilla regarding the progress. The team is doing a great job, and hopes to have the contractor on site for put back soon.
Crystal Tower Update 10/02/2020
The ServPro team is continuing work in the units and is making good progress. Although we may not be 100% ready, we are still targeting the 11/01 date for rentals. As I have mentioned, the -01 units took a hard hit from Sally and will need extensive repair, but the team is working diligently. The general contractor who will be working with ServPro to replace sheetrock and flooring was on site today.
Temporary roof has been installed on the SkyWalk, and is ready for interior work (ceiling and flooring). We are working with a consultant out of Pensacola for plans on a new permanent roof. Tidwell Air Systems will also be installing 4 new a/c units for the SkyWalk.
Currently, the City of Gulf Shores is not issuing any permits for boardwalk rebuilds. I spoke with a representative from the Building Department and was told the only thing we can do at this point is cut the current boardwalk back to where it is stable and install a temporary set of stairs to the sand. Once the dune renourishment is complete, permits will be issued to rebuild boardwalks to the original footprint. Hopefully we will have the steps built in the next week or so allowing beach access for those owners currently on site.
In the midst of hurricane repair, we have also started Phase II of our elevator modifications. ThyssenKrupp has been on site this week moving new equipment to the machine room and has taken one elevator out of service to begin work.
Crystal Tower Update 9/28/2020
Initial Water Damage Assessment report from our ServPro Team. This report will show you exactly what has been assessed in each Crystal Tower unit, and breaks down each unit as: Cat 3 – Severe; Cat 2 – Moderate; Cat 1 – Minimal; and Not Affected.
Please click the link below to view the 2021 Crystal Tower Assessment Letter